Sunday, March 29, 2015

Horse Trades

 
 
 
I think Tracy should have been a horse trader.
 
My great grandfather was a horse trader by profession. Every year at our family reunion the subject of my great grandfather's horse trading comes up. I have heard some of the same old stories about Great Grandpa Hough and his many trades, but my favorite story is about a trade he made for a horse that he described as "not looking too good." The man who bought the horse thought he looked just fine and took him home. As the story goes the man called my great grandfather a couple of days later to report that the horse was blind. It's reported that my great grandfather's reply was "Well mister, I told you he didn't look too good!"
 
This week we got a washing machine / dryer combo unit. It is awesome. It's a washer and dryer all in one unit. I have always wondered why we had separate units and thought someone should invent one these. As it turns out someone did.
 
These units usually retail for around $1400, and finding a good used unit is next to impossible. So we put this on our wish list. When Tracy installed the new shower he went ahead and plumbed for a washer and dryer.
 
As luck would have it we have some neighbors here in the RV park we are staying at that had a unit they did not use or want. They took the washer/dryer out to install a dishwasher. Tracy struck a deal for the washer/dryer. He traded a 30 year old band saw, some cheap sockets, and an old, well used drill for the washer/dryer. I feel like we got the better end of the deal. We are now the proud owners of a Splendide (also known as Westland) 2100XC vented washer/dryer.
 
I do have to report that Tracy only electrocuted himself once while working on the installation of the unit.
Our new washer. The Splendide 2100XC
 
We spent our fair share of time at Home Depot this week.
 
We needed more storage space and decided to make a small pantry for the kitchen. This would free up the two over head bins in the living area. Tracy found some sliding brackets on which to mount the pantry so that we can pull it out but still hold it in place while we are driving.
 
We must have spent three hours in Home Depot. I know Doug and I followed Tracy back and fourth across the store three times while he tried to decide what materials he needed to make the pantry. Doug didn't mind so much because all of the employees and regulars at the Home Depot in Waco, Texas know Doug. So he gets a lot of attention when we go there.
 
My trusted companion: Doug
 
 As soon as we got into the car Doug passed out. I just wished I could.
 
Tracy has the pantry installed but we have to go back to Home Depot to get more trim. He will finish out the trim once we pick some up. I will post more pictures after it is fully completed.
 

 

Pantry Construction

Pantry Construction
 

Pantry: Installed, waiting on trim.
Yes, Tracy we see you.

Pantry: Sitting flush with wall.
View from galley.
 

Pantry: Pulled out.
View from galley

Pantry:  Pulled out.
View from living room.

Pantry: Mounted on sliding brackets.
 
 
I am glad to report that Tracy only had one staple gun accident while making the pantry.
 
While Tracy worked on the pantry I started working on the roman shades for the side windows. They are coming along quite well. Since this is the first time I have ever made a set of roman shades I have to confess that I did not expect them to be so hard to complete. Fortunately, I only have to make two. I am almost finished with the first shade and will post pictures as soon I am done.
 
I also took the time to make a couple of hedge hog hot pads for our oldest daughter. I found the pattern on line and she fell in love. These are so cute I couldn't resist. It seems that everyone I show these to wants a set. I am thinking about selling them for around $5.00 each or  $8.50 a set.
 

Hedge Hog hot pad
 
 The Big Lebowski needed leveling this week.
 
After Tracy got the pantry installed yesterday he decided to level the motorhome. We had started to lean a little. Well, we were leaning a lot. I felt like I was in one of those fun houses at a carnival where everything is skewed and leaning.
 
I was sitting outside visiting with my mother while Tracy worked on leveling the Big Lebowski. We were enjoying the nice day and drinking iced tea. It was a lovely visit until Mayhem showed up.
 
While Tracy was adjusting the jacks on the motorhome there was sudden jerk and the Big Lebowski rolled back off the wheel stops. This knocked the Big Lebowski off the leveling jacks, causing a large air tank that had gotten set under the Big Lebowski to get punctured.
 
Mom and I both ran. I didn't drop my tea. I don't know about mom, but I almost peed my pants because of the sound the air made as it escaped the cylinder. Fortunately, the cylinder did not become projectile. It was firmly lodged under the Big Lebowski. We just waited and watched while the air tank lost its pressure. I swear someone better stop that character Mayhem in his tracks before I have a heart attack.

The lesson learned here is to not use the cheap little aluminum wheel stops. They don't work with a large vehicle. Spend the money and get a decent set.
 
We got an early visit from the Easter Bunny.
 
Before we moved in to the Big Lebowski I had Tracy install a cat door into one of the basement compartments to house the litter box. Tracy has been leaving the basement door unlatched so that Princess Kitty Princess and Boss Lady can come and go at their leisure. Its not so bad during the day because we are up and can supervise their activity, but at night I prefer not to leave it open.
 
I have been telling Tracy that because the weather is warming up we should close the basement door so the cats do not bring us a present, or another animal doesn't come visit us. He prefers to leave it open because the cats wake him up wanting in and out at night.
 
After waking up at 6:30 this morning to a little baby rabbit in our bed. I bet that door gets closed tonight.
 
I want to thank all of our readers and subscribers.

We have gotten a great deal of positive feed back and are glad so many of you are enjoying our blog. If you have not subscribed to the blog you can still do so. The subscribe button is near the top of the page on the right hand side.

I included links to some of the items we bought in case anyone is interested in them. We are members of the Amazon Associates program so if you purchase these items we make a small percentage of the sale price. I will be adding a page about my Thermal Cooker in the next few days because I think it is the most awesome piece of cookware I have ever owned. I have gotten a lot of questions about it and hope the new page helps answer some of them.

Injury tally for the week:

Splinter - 1
Staple injury - 1
Electrocution - 1
 
Leave us a comment below and share our blog with your friends on Google+, Facebook and Twitter

Add to Flipboard Magazine.


Here is a link to the washer/dryer we have:
Westland WD2100XC White Vented Combo Washer/Dryer

Here is a link to the hardware I am using for the Roman Shades:
All-in-One ROMAN SHADE HARDWARE KIT, in White (cord lock, pulleys, cord, brackets, cleats, rings)

Here is a link to the drawer slides we used for our new pantry:
Liberty D80614C-ZP-W 14-Inch Ball Bearing Drawer Slides

Here is a link to the new wheel stops we purchased:
Camco 44414 Wheel Chock - Pack of 2

No comments:

Post a Comment