Saturday, February 14, 2015

Nomenclature






The morning after our trip home I wanted nothing to do with the motorhome. 

Tracy was ready to dive in and start working on the remodel and mechanical repairs. My knee was still swollen and blue, the goose egg on my head ached, and I was a little skeptical about the trade. Scenes from the movie The Money Pit played through my head. 

That morning we sat on the patio drinking coffee, staring at the motorhome in silence. Tracy ventured to say we should name our vessel. We started throwing around a few ideas like "Bug Smasher", "The Last Resort", "The Mystery Machine". None of them seemed quite right. A name says so much, it conveys who you are. It tells the world so much about you. 

I knew we wanted the name to be fun. 

That was the whole point of the lifestyle change we were making. I asked myself a few questions, and eventually decided to just let the naming issue percolate a few days.
  • Why did we get the motorhome?
  • What do I want people to know about us?
  • Was the assignment of the naming task really Tracy's ploy to distract me?
  • Am I crazy?

I had faith that the right name would come to me, at the right time. 

On day three Tracy had picked me up from work. We were pulling in to the driveway when I caught a glimps of the motorhome. The perfect name struck me. Being the movie fan that I am, it only seems fitting to name our motorhome after one of the greatest bohemian adventures ever made. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to ....

THE BIG LEBOWSKI.

His Dudeness, The Big Lebowski

We will be embarking on the biggest bohemian adventure of our lives. Who else better to take along than the Dude?

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment