Monday, February 2, 2015

Rolling Turd Anyone?

 I will spare you the gory details of our hunt for an RV. We looked for weeks at new dealerships, used dealerships, and RV Trader adds. Our search took us as far south as Austin and as far north as Fort Worth. We had initially set our sights on finding a Montana fifth-wheel. We found a brand new Montana fifth-wheel for $15,000 under market value. It would have been great if anyone knew how to get rid the fish smell. There was the trailer that had a new paint job from the local high school shop class. There were awful sales people, and a couple that were very informative and helpful.

I really had no interest in a motor home. Every time we looked at one I had flash backs to my childhood and of spending time with my grandparents and their two poodles in the "Big Green Barf Wagon". I would lay awake at night when they took me camping and think of the movie National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I had night mares of cousin Eddy dumping pooh everywhere while exclaiming "Shi**ers Full!" It echoed in my dreams over and over. 


I don't know exactly how it happened, but we decided to just go look at a motor home for sale by an individual in Joshua, Texas. We got up early on a sunny Saturday morning and set out to "just go look". Little did I know of the adventure that lay ahead. 

Side Note: At some point Texas developed a love affair with toll roads. Did you know there is a toll road in the middle of nowhere in Texas. I didn't either until we encountered it on this trip. It's called the Chisholm Trail Parkway and it runs north from just outside Cleburne, Texas all the way into Fort Worth, Texas. 

We made it to Joshua, the toll cost us $2.55 by the way, and met up with a gentleman named Mike, who was nice enough to let us look at his motor home. After about thirty minutes of tire kicking and the guys spitting the time came for a test drive. The three of us loaded up, and Motor Home Mike took us for a ride in the 31' Fleetwood Pace Arrow. Tracy had never ridden in a motorhome and was a little uneasy as Motor Home Mike took out across a bar ditch and jumped a curb to get on the road in front of his house. 

As the motorhome began to sway back and forth with each bump on the dirt road, I felt like a little kid again. I thought back to going on trips with my grandparents and how they were always so excited to take the motorhome out. I thought to myself "This isn't so bad. This motorhome is a lot nicer than the Big Green Barf Wagon."

I paid no attention to the conversation between Tracy and Motor Home Mike. I do recall hearing "Yeah, the breaks need a little work." I thought nothing of this because if there is anything Tracy can fix on a car, it's breaks. Breaks are his specialty when it comes to cars. No big deal. 

When we returned to Motor Home Mikes yard there was another 30 minutes of dickering. Then a deal was struck. My car was traded for a Fleetwood Pace Arrow motor home. That's right my car. The car that I really loved, bought and paid for by myself, the one place I got peace and quiet everyday, was traded for a used motor home in Joshua, Texas. Papers were signed, hands shook, and keys exchanged. 


The Big Lebowski
I had to tell myself "Trust your husband, he will take care of you." as we drove off leaving my old car behind.......

Remember nothing comes easy! The ride home was shear terror so be sure to check back next week. I will tell you about the big goose egg I got, my busted knee, stealing a fire extinguisher, and the very silent ride home. 









Add to Flipboard Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment